Currently Reading

Tegan Mae's bookshelf: currently-reading

Witch Finder
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, a-little-witchy, advanced-copy, first-reads, net...
Gilt
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, historical, queens-and-kings, ya, the-tudors, an...

goodreads.com

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday Funday List: Top 10 Favorite High School Reads

Here it is folks! Another Sunday Funday list. And this week it's my top 10 favorite high school reads. You're thinking "Wait? You actually liked those?" Yes I did, call me a dork, but some of them were awesome! Don't deny it, I'm sure you enjoyed at least one yourself.

Here's my list in no particular order:

1. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
-Lord of the Flies (LotF) is the 1954 Hunger Games (I bet you if you told students that they wouldn't mind reading it). But seriously, it is. At first it seems exciting to be stranded with no adults, but it soon turns deadly. This chilling tale is pretty much childhood gone wrong. Seeing these boys descend into madness is terrifying and something that stuck with my long after I finished reading, but I really enjoyed it. It was something different than what we always had to read before. Maybe one of our first extra dark reads in school. I even had to tell the bookseller at Border's once who the author was. Win.

2. After the First Death by Robert Cormier
-I read this book my sophomore year and wasn't sure what I was going to think about it. One weekend we only had to read the first few chapters, I finished the book. I couldn't put it down. This book had some of my favorite aspects, such as being absolutely messed up. I love books that don't take the easy road out. They make you think about sides of life that we don't necessarily see every day. If you haven't read this novel, you should, it's fantastic.

3. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
-I was the only person in my junior year English class to voluntarily choose to read this novel. And what can I say to all those that didn't? Suck it, you missed out. Other than being a fantastic novel and incredibly well written, it makes you feel like you've gone insane. It's so interesting and it wasn't difficult to get through. I just had to figure out what was going on and kept on going. The illustrations are great and thrown in at just the right times. This is a work of genius my friends, pure genius.

4. Night by Elie Wiesel
-We were given the opportunity to read Night for extra credit and I'm so glad that I decided to do it. The story is heartbreaking and gives the reader even more of an insight into concentration camps during WWII. I think this is a novel that everyone should have to read, regardless of age. This shows strength of character and how to never lose hope, even in the darkest of situations.

5. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
-I always wanted to read this novel and when it was on my reading list choices for my senior year in high school I was like "Perfect!" This novel far surpassed my expectations. It made me laugh and cry and yell at it in rage. I couldn't put it down and didn't want it to end. Please read this novel if you haven't, just do it.

6. The Awakening by Kate Chopin
-I read this novel for my senior year AP English class and LOVED it. The story is heart-wrenching and you just feel for the main character. To be a woman in such stifled society had to be difficult, just having to sit around and be quiet and be expected to act however others want you to act. I can't imagine how depressing that would be. Watching this woman's struggle and eventual decision was very sad and emotional and has stuck with me ever since.

7. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
-Talk about depressing. But this novel is full of beautiful imagery and symbolism. It also fits my requisite crazy factor. For only being 128 pages it's packed full of story. And the ending? Oh the ending. If you haven't read it, read it, I won't ruin it for you.

8. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
-This is a beautiful story. The relationship between George and Lennie is amazing, to find a bond like that is truly once in a lifetime. You get so attached to these characters and the ending just hurts so badly. And the movie? They did a fantastic job, they made John Steinbeck's words come to life. Such a great novel to read freshman year in high school.

9. A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
-Fairies, magic and a love triangle? Shakespeare had it going on way before today's YA and fantasy. This guy is a genius. Great characters abound in this play, especially Puck, he's so feisty! This play is mischievous and fun and keeps you guessing from beginning to end!

10. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
-Uh, I wanna party with Gatsby. Aside from the fact that his parties are amazing, he's intriguing as hell. Guys today won't text a girl back, but this guy moves across the harbor and throws parties hoping she'll show up? He's crazy for Daisy and isn't afraid to show it. But he's got a dark side and you just want to know him and about him. This novel is also incredibly depressing and just makes me sad. F. Scott Fitzgerald sure knew what he was doing when he wrote this 1920's epic. Thank you sir, thank you.

What do you guys think? Anything you would add?

No comments:

Post a Comment