Currently Reading

Tegan Mae's bookshelf: currently-reading

Witch Finder
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, a-little-witchy, advanced-copy, first-reads, net...
Gilt
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, historical, queens-and-kings, ya, the-tudors, an...

goodreads.com

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

Title: The Dark and Hollow Places
Author: Carrie Ryan
Type: Young Adult
Genre: Horror/Science Fiction/Dystopian
Tea: A cold cup of English Breakfast.
Rating: 1.5 out of 5


*Warning! Spoilers Ahead!*

I started this novel off with a little apprehension, if I didn't enjoy the second book in the series, The Dead-Tossed Waves, what would I think of The Dark and Hollow Places?

I was right in my feeling of uncertainty. This review is for a Did Not Finish book, so I won't be able to go past about the first 100 pages.

We start with Annah in the Dark City, which is a pretty effed up place. She pretty much just walks around feeling sorry for herself. Yes, I get it, your life sucks. You abandoned your sister on a path in the middle of the woods surrounded by zombies. You got injured being stupid crawling around in dark, abandoned tunnels. Your best friend, almost brother, had to leave you and hasn't come back. All of that is horrible, I get it, but what do you do? You just sit there and wallow. Finally when this book starts after countless years she decides, maybe now is the time I get my ass in gear. And what prompts this? The thousandth person she's seen turn into an Unconsecrated.

So yay! Maybe we get to see her in the Forest again. But what's this? Oh it's Catcher again, ugh. Wait, there's Gabry too. Crap, now she's gonna stay in this city. How thrilling. It's the typical dystopian society and nothing new to me. Just has some zombies thrown in.

So then Catcher saves her and they wind up in the tunnels that she hurt herself in when she was younger and even though she's only known him for point two seconds she's falling in love with him. Whoa, way too fast. They talk some about Elias and Gabry/Abigail and try to go find her and save her. I had to stop there, I honestly couldn't make myself pick up the book and read it, which is sad, since I even finished the second one in a day. I don't know how this series ended, maybe someone will tell me.

I'm sad that I felt this way about this book because I loved the first one so much. Maybe I'll go read that one again and pretend it's a standalone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment