Currently Reading

Tegan Mae's bookshelf: currently-reading

Witch Finder
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, a-little-witchy, advanced-copy, first-reads, net...
Gilt
0 of 5 stars
tagged: currently-reading, historical, queens-and-kings, ya, the-tudors, an...

goodreads.com

Monday, December 2, 2013

The Reckoning (The Taker Trilogy #2) by Alma Katsu

Title: The Reckoning
Author: Alma Katsu
Type: Adult Fiction
Genre: Fantasy/Erotica/Romance/Paranormal Romance/Urban Fiction
Tea: Earl Grey: great, but doesn't have the same kick as the others in its family.
Rating: 4 out of 5.


*Warning! Here be spoilers!*


I was very excited to read The Reckoning after finishing The Taker, as I fell in love with the story and the characters. Sadly The Reckoning fell a little flat for me after The Taker. I think it suffers from the unfortunate middle book syndrome, getting the reader from the first book to the last.

I was so excited to find out what would happen with Lanny and Luke now that Adair escaped his prison. I expected his anger to go to new levels and have some very intense interactions. Yes, this happened, but not nearly on the same scale.

It was made clear in the first novel that Adair has feelings for Lanny and they are beyond any sort of feelings he has had before. And I know he has a hard time dealing with these feelings in The Reckoning, but it almost seems like his transition to loving her was too simple. Yes, he does some horrible things to her when he eventually finds her, but he quickly does the right thing and lets her go. I know he's supposed to have changed, but really? After being trapped behind a wall for 200 years by someone you love, would it really be that simple?

I enjoyed the flashbacks and learning more about Lanny and Adair's lives, as well as Savva, another of Adair's companions. But there was not nearly enough flashbacks for my liking. That was what made me love the first novel so much. Though it was interesting watching Adair adjust to modern living after being trapped for 200 years.

Luke and Lanny's relationship needed a major reformation, so I'm glad in the end they got that.

I was fascinated by Adair bringing Johnathan back from the dead. I would've liked to have learned more about what was so different about him now that he's back. It would've been great to see him and Lanny interact. I also wanted to learn more about the queen of the underworld (which thankfully is a large part of the third novel, The Descent).

To me it felt like The Reckoning was mainly a segue from The Taker into The Descent. I did enjoy it and looked forward to reading it, but for me it didn't have the depth and scope that The Taker did.

No comments:

Post a Comment